Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Slow Going

It has been a while, but I'm not that good of a writer. Lazy is more like it. Anyways, I was able to get some work in during the holidays. With all of the radiator fluid dried up, I was able to really get under the car and take some pictures. With the radiator out, and this being a really simple engine, there wasn't too much left to do other than stare it and tell myself "I was really going to have to pull out the engine." So after a little staring, I started disconnecting everything so nothing would be in the way of taking out the engine. The first thing was the alternator. I got a torque wrench for Christmas which gave me plenty of leverage to loosen the bottom bolt. The wrench allows you to really put power behind your turning and it has been a must have tool for me since. The alternator's upper bolt was connected to a flat metal bar with a slot inside of it that stuck out from the front of the motor below the water pump. Once the bolt was loosened, the alternator was able to tilt closer to the engine, producing enough slack to removing the fan belt. Once I removed the belt, I then removed the alternator and put them both on the workbench.

I then removed the electric wires from the starter, the shift linkage cable, the throttle cable, and a spring that was connected from the throttle cable bracket on the engine to the bottom of the master cylinder for the brakes.
I'm not sure what the
spring was for, so I think it probably should have been attached to something else since it didn't seem like there was a working purpose for it, and maybe someone just connected it wrong.

After that I got under the car and placed my jacks under the engine's oil pan with a wood block on top, in hopes of
not damaging the oil pan, and one under the transmission. After they were firmly supported, I went to work on the drive train. Unfortunately, this is where I had to stop. The retaining nut was huge and none of my tools would fit it. I couldn't believe it. It was nearing late afternoon, so I decided to just pack up and attempt the engine removal
another day, instead of just racing the the nearest hardware store for a pair of channel lock pliers or vice grips. So I cleaned up and took more pictures. I also took the rest of my chrome side moldings off with the same
luck I had with the first one. All clips are still intact.

More pics have been added to my Flickr account so check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment